Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a longer range high magnification scope I would like it to have a 50mm objective for the light and to aslo have the widest possible field of view at high magnifications.
I was wondering if it is better to have a scope with a standart 1in tube or are the 30mm tubes a lot better. I'm not really concerned with extra weight and bulk just want the upfromt benifits if any?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up putting a 2 foot, 35mm tube, 56mm objective monstrosity on my R700 because I wasn't concerned with bulk or weight either...... It's huge, weighs a ton, and sucks in light like a black hole...... LOL!

In general, the bigger the tube and objective, the more view you get and better light to see it with. The price difference between those sizes, ring availabilty and such, are pretty simular so it really comes down to what you prefer. As far as brands go, the price can vary greatly, but it doesn't necessarily have much to do with tube diameter either. Some companies are just WAY too proud of their products if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, the best advice I ever got on scopes was "Decide the most you can afford, do your homework, and buy the one that works for you."

Good luck!

·
Registered
600 Posts
The larger tube diameter doesn't increase light gathering ability but leaves more room for added erector travel. That will give you more windage and elevation you can dial. The larger objectives increase light gathering ability and is a good way to go with high magnification scopes especially if it is going to be used in low light conditions like dusk or dawn (usually hunting).

I wouldn't go with a 1" tube, I prefer 30mm but now you can opt. for 34mm and even 35mm. With glass its usually best to "buy once, cry once" so to speak.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^^^^^ +1

And that's exactly why I went 35mm. It allows extended range on the weapon system by allowing more elevation adjustment.

And:
With glass its usually best to "buy once, cry once" so to speak.
Amen to brother Comfort

1 - 4 of 4 Posts