Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on taking my 5R .308 to the range this weekend. I've loaded some 155grs, 168grs, and I plan on loading some 175grs tomorrow after work. Once I zero I wanna chrony some loads and then work my way up to 600 yards if possible. Hoping for some cool temps because a few weeks ago moccasins were all up and down the power line we were shooting. I hope to provide a range report with pictures (wifes assistance) next week. I'll be working with Hornady Amax bullets, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, RE-15, and Varget powders.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Have fun. I'm hurting for a place to shoot out to 600 yards right now. Sounds like you have a good place to shoot and a good wife.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello fasteach,

The load information is great, Thanks! I'm pretty excited about getting this rifle. I have't bought any rifles newer than about 1980 in a long time, most of what I buy is considerably older than that. I have read several articles on the 5R and it's capabilities and I must say that I am impressed. I am new to centerfire bench shooting although I have been around it for years. I compete regularly in rimfire bench matches using vintage Rem 40X and Win 52 rifles. This new 5R rifle will be a new experience for me and I'm looking forward to it in a big way. I've been hunting with sporter rifles in .308 for years but I've never used one primarily to punch paper. It should be fun, eh?

Kix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fasteach, thanks for the info. Someone on the board recommended reading your posts ref the 5R. Your info gave me alot to look forward to : ) Gonna be using a Osprey 10-40x50 (rangefinder) scope. Used the same scope on my 7mm rem mag sendero and it performed flawlesly. Its raining here in Hampton, Va. right now and is supposed to do the same tomorrow. My range is 2 hrs away outside of Emporia, Va. Weather report is in my favor though. Hope to have something to share this Sunday evening; no later than Monday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a 1970's vintage AO Leupold 36X M8 scope with target turrets for the Remmy 5R I'm going to buy. It's a silver scope to match the stainless finish of the rifle. I'm going to mount it with a 1 piece silver Leupold scope base and silver Burris signature rings. I have several of these old scopes that I use on my rimfire benchrest rifles and I like them a lot. The optics are flawless, the hold zero especially well and the target turrets are very good. I even like them better than the new scopes offered by Leupold and the new Leupold scopes are really good. I have one in 12X, one in 15X and one in 24X. This 36X scope will be just the ticket for the long range work I have in mind for the 5R.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the rifle and scope assembled and ready to shoot.

Kix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fasteach, I purchased the Osprey 10-40x50 2 years ago and mounted it to my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. My conservative guess as to the number of rounds I have fired down range using it would be 800+. Shooting distances have been 100-600 yards. I have used a variety of bullets (Nosler, Barnes, Sierra) but have used 168gr Matchkings for target shooting. I've used RE-22 powder almost exclusively. I only paid $169 and some change for it and was purchased from Sportsmans Guide. It has performed flawlesly. It has always held zero, glass is clear enough for me to pickup mirage past 700 yards (the limit of this particular range that I shoot), dust being pushed around by the wind, vegitation, etc. I will admit that I am 20-20 in one and 20-15 in the other and that certainly helps but.... Never had a problem with turrets. Parallax, vertical and horizontal adjustments work fine. Bore sighting with the 1/8 moa adjustment turrets was a breeze. Mounting the scope was simple and easy. I do however take issue with the mounts and would recommend replacing them. They are good enough to use until you can. In my opinion its a good product. I gonna use it on my .308 5R tomorow. I'm saving my beans and hope to purchase a Nightforce next fall but until such time..... Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally made it to the range yesteday. Had to take off a day of work to do it. I got more than I bargained for I'm happy to say. I met a gentleman who has been building rifles and target shooting (competiton) for many years. He spent about 3 hours telling me what I was doing right and wrong, suggesting books and articles I should read as well as equipment he thought would help as far as reloading and target shooting is concerned. When it was all over he invited me to his home range for further instuction. He wants me to bring powder, bullets, primers and cases and we wil use his reloading equipment and shoot from his bench. By the way, the rifle performed outstandingly!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting back to the overall performance of the rifle.... It didn't take me long to get used to the palm swell. I thought it would be a problem but it wasn't. It performed best with 43 grains of Varget and a 175 grain SMK. I made the mistake of using a dirty bird type of a target (the adhesive type) and when one of the guys bought the target up to us it was ripped up so I couldn't get a accurate measurement. He said our 3 shot groups measured .75 (100 yds). Wind was blowing all day long between 10-22 mph. Fortunately it was blowing in our faces and wasn't much of a factor. All in all it was a pretty good day. Didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted to but the instruction I received was a big help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts