Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright question I'm going to get one of these scopes either the Night Force F1 3.5 - 15 x 50 or the US OPTICS SN-3 3.2-17x44 T-Pal 30mm tube,Matte Black, Mil-Scale MPR Red Reticle, EREK .1 Mil elevation.

What one would you recommend? Im split between the two. As they are both great scopes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your right they are both great scopes. I'm currently using a NF but look forward to eventually moving to a USO. The USO is built like a tank and has features you cannot get with NF. If you like you can have the windage and parallax switched, have a ACD in your sight picture and pick different main tube and objective sizes.

Give Jason Kyle a call over there he is extremely knowledgable and can help you put together your ideal rifle scope!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I started with a Leupold Mk 4 3.5x10x40mm M1. It worked well for me at the time, even held up to the recoil of a lot .300 Win Mag rounds. I wish I would of kept it, would be handy to have. I think it would be perfect for my .22 trainer.

The NF is a solid scope. I have been using one for about a year shooting matches and practicing. The NF NXS only has one FFP scope and that's the 3.5x15x50mm/56mm so if your looking for something more powerful you have to use a SFP scope.

US Optics has a lot of different models to choose from and each model has all kinds of different options for you to go through and customize the scope to your preferences. USO is the only custom scope maker so they are a stand out in the industry.

http://www.sincityprecision.com/a/Articles/Entries/2011/2/7_Shot-Show-2011-US-Optics.html

·
Registered
639 Posts
The USO's are darn nice. The new SSDS is on my wish list :) Im going to be grabbing one of there Spotting scopes this year.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was going to get the Gen 2 Mildot. I dont want it too cluttered. How the glass quality?? Could you do a lil review of it for us?? I think one aspect that alot of us overlook is that a good spotting scope is a very handy peice of kit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quick said:
I was going to get the Gen 2 Mildot. I dont want it too cluttered. How the glass quality?? Could you do a lil review of it for us?? I think one aspect that alot of us overlook is that a good spotting scope is a very handy peice of kit.
I'm working on a little review, I'm waiting for Beau to get it published on our site. The field spotter is a great balance of clarity, size and cost.

It doesn't matter if you go MIL or MOA. We all use MOA rifle scopes so the MD MOA reticle in the spotter was obvious. Both are angular measurements, MOA correlates closely with navigation and inches. Mils are based off a unit of 10 and the numbers are easy to move around. You always hear someone... blah, blah, blah mils this mils that.. when in reality it just comes down to preference. If you have a MIL/MIL scope get a MIL spotter, if you have a MOA scope get a MOA spotter. Easy.

I like how Chris Kinney put it;

"I use the IMPERIAL system so I use MOA"

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well one way I look at it is its easy to break down the mil into ten parts because most mildot systems now have half mils, and some even have a ten mil break down. To break the MOA into 1/4 its not so easy. I guess if you have a 1/2 MOA reticle it can be done.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Well one way I look at it is its easy to break down the mil into ten parts because most mildot systems now have half mils, and some even have a ten mil break down. To break the MOA into 1/4 its not so easy. I guess if you have a 1/2 MOA reticle it can be done.
I understand what your saying but I don't understand the context.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'm referring why go with mil/mil instead of moa/moa. When you said it dosent matter MOA or Mil. I do understand the fact that as long as the spotter matches the shooter it's all good. I was writing mostly to when Quick said that he's getting the mil version of the spotting scope. Hope this will clear up some of the weird posts :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I work in Mil/Mil but can also work in Moa aswell. I have optics in both. Id mainly use it for calculating holdovers and alike. Post a link to your review when you get it done.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Cheers JF. Legend Mate :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
JFComfort said:
Quick said:
I work in Mil/Mil but can also work in Moa aswell. I have optics in both. Id mainly use it for calculating holdovers and alike. Post a link to your review when you get it done.
Yes Sir!

http://www.sincityprecision.com/a/Articles/Entries/2011/6/3_US-Optics-Field-Spotting-Scope.html

Thats a nice USO setup there thanks for the post.
Thank you! I'll add more input as we get more time behind it. Dane's came in this week. I wish we had the thing in Prescott with us. Beau didn't make it down there for that match. The spotter our squad was using had a mil dot reticle and when the spotter would call out where you impacted I was converting mils into MOA. I can do this fairly quickly but once you take your first shot you only have 10 seconds to send your follow up shot. Some of the goofy shooting positions added to the difficulty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts