Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

US Optics SN-3 T-Pal 3.2x17x44mm

16K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  JFComfort 
#1 ·

Yesterday was my last practice session with the 3.5x15x50mm Nightforce. I'm going to get some rings and set it up it up on the Savage Mk II .22 trainer. I'm very excited about the US Optics SN-3 T-Pal.

First impressions are excellent! It wasn't until I started shooting matches out of state that I realized how badly I wanted FFP. SFP gets things done and I've been making it work for a long time now but I've ran into many scenarios during different stages during different matches where FFP is the ticket.

After shooting yesterday I left the desert and headed to the FedEx hub in Henderson and was able to intercept my package before it was going to be held at a FedEx location near the house.

I got the rifle zeroed and the EREK knob set up today at the Clark County Shooting Park. I brought the Nightforce with me to compare them side by side. I thought the NF would have a brightness and clarity edge with the larger objective and lower magnification. The USO was actually brighter and clearer with the 44mm objective. The internal ACD is pretty sweet and I love having it in the bottom of my sight picture as opposed to having it mounted to the picitanny rail.

The digital illumination controls are nice and I'm looking forward to giving it a go during one of our night shoots. If you already have a USO you are able to send it out and have the illumination knob switched to the digital controls if you like. You can also have the internal ACD installed.

I'll try and get my .22 set up this week, I'm looking forward to burning up some .22 LR rounds.

See less See more
#5 ·
06/30/2011- I put more rounds down range with the USO today. Vegas50 and I headed out after work. The more rounds I put down range with it the more and more impressed I am. The EREK knob is simply awesome, it serves as a "high speed" knob, zero stop and incorporates a resettable erector. Having a resettable erector means you can zero the scope and have all of the available upward travel to dial elevation. You don't have to worry about how much you'll have left after you mount and zero. The EREK knob is numbered to 43 MOA (22.5 per turn/ two turns) but I have 86 MOA of elevation travel. I have 1 MOA under my zero stop so that gives me 85 MOA of elevation if I need it! Like I mentioned before the clarity exceeds that of my SFP Nightforce NXS which is impressive because the NF has a larger objective, less glass (second focal plane) and lower magnification. The CMG MOA reticle is great and I'm really enjoying the 1 MOA sub-tensions especially coming from a NP-R2. I found myself mostly holding wind and being able to do it quickly and very accurately!

#6 ·
You don't see a NF scope mounted atop of a .22lr very often. :)

#7 ·
I sent Jason Kyle (US Optics) an email. I told him I'm looking for the big T-Pal and their med rings. The big T-Pal didn't have the option for the CMG MOA reticle. I'm thinking RDP MOA or whatever Jason says. They will all be foreign to me - I'm soo used to MIL-DOT.

#8 ·
It's so much better having your turret adjustments and reticle subtensions matching. If you wanted a mil dot I would recommend 0.1 mil turrets. USO offers a lot of mil based reticles too. The RDP is very nice, Bill uses it in his 25x T-Pal and Beau in his 17x T-Pal. Dane's scope should be done soon. He went with the 22x ERGO w/CMG MOA reticle.

#9 ·
Yeah, for sure on the .1mil, but you know, I think I'm going to try the moa. If not now, when? and I'm getting the 25.

#10 ·
I love mine, the subtensions aren't quite as fine as I would like, but it keeps the scope from getting "to busy" when you dial down your magnification and the first hash line on the RDP MOA are 2 MOA, and the center cross hair is much finer than the CMG, they both have their pros and cons, and I am glad that the crew has a mix of both, Nice to have people spotting for you that have super fine subtensions in their glass! :)

#11 ·
That's cool, thanks for that bit of info. I had been wondering if all that busy work was going to interfere with target interdiction. :/

#12 ·
Well, I called your boy Jason at U.S. Optics and he's building me a big T-Pal. I threw your name out there - I told Jason you were their biggest fan. I told him he should send you some free crap (hats, stickers) for spreading the good word. I told him you were telling everyone who needs new glass to give him a call.

He said he was going to throw some stuff your way. :D

Really cool guy.

#14 ·
HAHAHA, yeah he said the same about you. Said you probably know more than he does. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll post pics when it comes in.

#15 ·
JFComfort said:
It's so much better having your turret adjustments and reticle subtensions matching. If you wanted a mil dot I would recommend 0.1 mil turrets. USO offers a lot of mil based reticles too. The RDP is very nice, Bill uses it in his 25x T-Pal and Beau in his 17x T-Pal. Dane's scope should be done soon. He went with the 22x ERGO w/CMG MOA reticle.

All the folks down at USO have been a pleasure to deal with. Jason's a great guy, Beckie is super cool too, i just wish she would tell me my scope has shipped. JFC and Hog are constantly rubbing their usos in my face :p .

It appears that ERGOS take a little bit longer than the TPALS.

#16 ·
Yeah, that's harsh.

But a high quality purpose built scope is well worth the wait.

#18 ·
Man that actually looks nice. You're right that AI stock is a pretty good match.

#20 ·
Look at the first pic of the shooter in the red Tee - the sand in front of him, that's caused by muzzle flash. Cool design.

You know, I think I like that CMG reticle better. Is it thicker or thinner than the RDP? Not really worth worrying about, CMG doesn't come as an option in the big T-Pal.

And what is the blue box in front of your boy's left elbow?

#21 ·
B0BK4T said:
Look at the first pic of the shooter in the red Tee - the sand in front of him, that's caused by muzzle flash. Cool design.

You know, I think I like that CMG reticle better. Is it thicker or thinner than the RDP? Not really worth worrying about, CMG doesn't come as an option in the big T-Pal.

And what is the blue box in front of your boy's left elbow?
That's the shot timer for running the courses of fire, we set a par times depending of which stage were on. Let me dig it up and I'll post the Sniper's Hide Competition Dot Drill, my bad.

Snipers Hide Dot Drill

1. Single dot at the top engaged from the prone supported with two rounds in 30 seconds. It should take much less. This is recommended where you start your day- the infamous cold bore shot, with its follow up.

2. First row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 3 rounds and a second magazine of two, the shooter from the open, magazine inserted position, will fire 3 rounds, 1 round per dot, then reload and complete the row with the final 2 rounds. Time limit to start is 30 seconds.

3. Second row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 5 rounds inserted, the bolt back, shooter in the prone, he will put 1 round in each dot from the support side in 30 seconds.

4. 3rd row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 5 rounds inserted with the bolt back the shooter from the standing will drop into the prone and fire 1 round in the first dot in 15 seconds and reset the drill and stand up. From there he will repeat this with a descending time limit. 12 seconds, 10 seconds, 8 seconds, & finally 6 seconds for each shot.

5. Last row in the dot drill, the shooter with the rifle in the low ready, magazine inserted with the bolt back will drop to the prone and fire one rounds on the first dot in 30 seconds. He will reset and stand up with the rifle repeating the drill with a descending time limit of 25 sec, 20 seconds, 15 seconds and finally 10 seconds.

This is a video of us running it awhile back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8XjPkAMds&feature=player_embedded

The RDP is the same thickness as the CMG MOA but the cross hair section is nice and thin. I really like the RDP but I like the fine sub-tensions of the CMG.

#22 ·
Maybe a suggestion to USO to develop a new reticle with the sub-tensions of the CMG and the thin crosshair section of the RDP. Sort of a hybrid. You can hit Jason up and tell him. They could even call it the JFC - hahahahaha How's That?

#23 ·
Oh, and thanks for the dot drill - I'm a fan of drills, they build muscle memory. We're the only animals born without instinct so training and muscle memory are the only effective tools we have.

#24 ·
B0BK4T said:
Maybe a suggestion to USO to develop a new reticle with the sub-tensions of the CMG and the thin crosshair section of the RDP. Sort of a hybrid. You can hit Jason up and tell him. They could even call it the JFC - hahahahaha How's That?
The guys and I have been talking about that. You can have a custom reticle made but I think the minimum order is 10 scopes. We have a lot going on with practice sessions, competitions, Bill with hunting and the new lathe endeavor so I don't think we'll be able to swing 10 scopes anytime soon! lol

The guys and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we got into SCPRC this fall/winter. We have spots for TBRC in 2012 and plan on shooting TPRC in AZ early in 2012. Until then we are shooting monthly matches here locally, Prescott, AZ and Phoenix, AZ. Were planning on hitting up a match or two is So Cal as well.

Mark Hartwell with Storm Tactical has a custom reticle coming out and so do the CA PRC guys in LA but its MIL.

#25 ·
Cool video.

Thanks, I've actually learned some good stuff from you guys. It's cool to see what others are doing with their sport.

Have you guys thought of building your rifles in LEFT HANDED actions? When time is a factor I prefer left handed setup so that I can send a follow-up shot without moving my head or strong hand. The off-hand is the only moving part of the equation and you don't lose sight of your intended target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.