Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and cant say i am too impressed. i loaded three loads five each all with hdy. 150gr bullett, and win 748. first was 46.7 gr of 748. this one shot about 2in group at 100 yds. next was 47.7 gr of 748 this one shot 4 in one ragged cluster less than a inch. with a flyer off about 1 inch from the rest of them. the flyer very well could have been me. i dont shoot as well as i used to, because i dont shoot as much as used to. you know what they say practice makes perfect. third load was 48.4 gr 748 this one shot a loose 2.5 inch group. just for giggles i shot three reminton factory shells 180 gr rn at 100 yds. these shot a horrizontal 2.5 inch group at 100 yds didnt expect alot out of these. a friend of mine gave me this box of ammo about 10 years ago after he sold his 308. so i figured i might as well shoot them up. now i had a problem when i trimmed my cases. i couldnt get any of my cases the same length. they were all within spec, but all different lengths from 2.005 to 2.015. i took a look at my trimmer last nite and i think i fixed the problem. does any one have any thoughts? coal was 2.825 i couldnt seat them any closer to the rifflings, because they wouldnt load in to the magazine. this rifle has by far the deepest chamber of any of my guns, 2.900 was touching the rifflings.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Mine has a chamber of 2.945 if I remember correctly and still shoot great. Its a SPS Tac in 20" BB. I would say that the more consistent your loads are the better the accuracy. I would try some 150 SP sierra bullets and see how they do. For me I'm sub moa with the Federal 150 SP factory loads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think im gonna load some more of the second load with cases all the same length, and try again. i think this load will shoot with a little atention to case length. hopefully i will have something worth posting a pic of. im not looking for super accuracy it is just a hunting rifle. if it wasnt for the flyer it would have been acceptable. i think maybe with properly trimed cases i can tighten it up. i guess we will have to see. just wanted some one elses take on it thanks.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
One flier out of 5 is usually human error you you might be on to something with that load.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i kind of think that it was me. i put a 3-9 burris on this rifle with no ao adjustment. i dont have great vision, and it is hard for me to get the whole fine picture lookin thru a 9 power scope. the crosshairs are thick, and a little hard to get on a pea sized dot at 100 yds. i blame the flyer on me, and the inch group on me not being able to put those hairs in exactly the same place any more. i noticed my accuracy in my 280 droped off a little this year. i didnt pay alot of attention to it, because the load i was shootin out of it is capable of makin one small ragged hole at 100 yds out of that rifle. i have done it in the past, but i cant see like i use to be able to. so i figured that is probably it. i had lasik done a few years ago, and i see better without my glases than before. but every thing is a little fuzzy thru my glasses now. my visual acuity has dropped way off, and i have also noticed my accuracy dropping off also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts