Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a hunting rifle that I can use for everything from Elk to Whitetail deer. Initially I was looking at getting a .270 or a 30-06 because the majority of my hunting will be whitetail. But from what I have read, 7mm or a .300 seem to be the caliber of choice for elk. Would that be too much for a whitetail? I shot a 7mm mag that my brother owned and it about ripped my shoulder off after 5-6 rounds. It had a synthetic stock and almost no recoil pad. Part of my decision making dilema is I would like to be able to shoot out to 700 - 800 yards. I am not sure that the .270 or 30-06 can reach that far effectively. Also, do the various 700 models make a difference in accuracy? I really like the look of the 700 BDL. Guess I am a little old fashioned and like the look of the wooden stock, but I am not turning a deaf ear to other models.
As far as scopes go, I am inclined to get a Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 power scope with a boone and crockett reticle. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How far you plan on shooting at game ? And .308 would even be ok for the game animals you mentioned. The only reason I would not care for a .270 is the bullet variety, and a 30-06 is not that much harder shooting than the .308. Example the 150gr federal SP ammo out of a '06 has a MV of 2910 and out of a .308 the MV is 2810.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Shooting deer or Elk at 700 - 800 yards will require a little more terminal than the 06 or 270 has to offer. It's not even realistic to attempt that kind of shooting unless you have a lot of range time behind you. I'd start out with a .308 and learn it inside and out and then get something bigger if you want to shoot an Elk at long range.

Remember a four inch circle at 800 yards is 1/2 MOA. Your bullet has slowed down to pistol velocities. That makes a 700 yard deer rifle a very expensive target quality rifle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts