Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I'm new to this forum and to the 700. I recently purchased a 700 SPS-V. I have no intention to use it for hunting. My interest is more for long range precision shooting.

So which forum should I use to find and post information/questions regarding the SPS-V?

BTW - having great fun with it so far. Shooting quarter (and sometimes dime) sized groups at 100 yards. With factory ammo (Hornady Match 168 gn HPBT). NOTE: Did put on an HS Precision Pro series stock before firing the first round. Just ordered a bunch of loading gear to start working on some more customized loads to fit my rifle.

Any suggestions on gap from bullet to lands (I've heard .020 is a good start) for the SPS-V would be appreciated. I'll be using Lapua brass, 168 gn. Sierra Matchking HPBT bullets, Alliant RL-15 powder, and CCI benchrest primers (don't know if any of that info would influence the suggested starting gap). I know - the second part of this post should be in the handloading forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You did good my son.

Try some Federal Match too.

As for seating bullets, first measure your throat using an RCBS Precision Mic. Then load 10 rds each at the OAL's 0.010" from the lands, 0.020" and 0.030" and 2.800" OAL, then use what gives you the best group.

RL15 is the main powder I use.

Try some Sierra 175gr bullets for ranges over 6-800 yds/meters.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You posted it in the correct section. Since this forum and site is basically "all things 700", the general discussion area is the right place for general 700 questions.

I should modify the description a bit to make that more clear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts