Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here. I have always shot handguns, been familiar with weapons since i was a young lad. My father passed away recently he was a 16 year USMC veteran and a 18 year LEO veteran. I was handed down his Remington Woodsmaster 742 and his Remington 11-48 . As a very elementary question, how do i tell what gauge his rifles are ??
The trusty internet says the 742 can be .308 or 30-06 some places say it can shoot 7.62's can some one please help?
The same with his 11-48 i read can be 12, 16, or 20 Ga i know its definitely not 12.... looking for any available help without judgement. Thanks in advance

Jr.

·
Super Moderator
1,379 Posts
Good Morning and welcome to the forum.

The rifle should be a Caliber and it should be stamped / engraved, on the barrel somewhere. A model 742 was available in many calibers. Can you post some pictures? Although 7.62 mm relates to .308, there are many calibers that use a 7.62/.308 projectile, but the military 7.62 would be the .308 Winchester.

Same with the 11-48, but it is probably a 12 gauge as they were the most made, so again check for markings on the barrel, usually just forward of the action. You can get a gauge for that, which you would put in the muzzle and though it would measure the restriction at the end (the choke level) it would be close enough to tell you.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts