Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was (and still am) eagerly awaiting to get a Remington 700, however after watching a MSNBC special on the safety issues, I must say it has left me wondering.

Here's the news cast in short> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv

Basically there has been over 1,000 "incidents" involving Remington 700's and having them suddenly firing even when you DON'T pull the trigger! Sadly there have been deaths involved, and most of the big lawsuits against Remington have all been settled under the condition that they are under legal penalty to talk about the specifics of the case.

Normally I wouldn't care, but it seems this is a fairly significant issue given the vast numbers of cases. I did a search just on this small forum, and already found someone who had an issue with his gun going off when he just turned the safety off!

The story I caught did I think say that in 2008(?) Remington offered a fixed trigger for SOME of the 700 models, but not all.

Am I the only one who is aware of this issue on here? Or seeing as how I am new, perhaps someone can lead me in the right direction.

This doesn't scare me entirely away from getting the 700p I have wanted for a while now, but it does make me want to know more info.

Specifically, if I purchase a new Remington 700p, will it have this issue? And if so, what can I do to fix the problem (mod the gun/trigger assembly)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I owned remington rifles for 7-8 years with no issues at all. One other thing you can do if you are really not feeling the stock trigger system is to upgrade to a timney trigger ( actually I will say its a must for precision shooting)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just saw this> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YFIwoZsWHk&feature=youtube_gdata_player which does fire back at the NBC story, but it there are descrepencies, like the courtcase in which the rifle in question ended up dry firing with the safety on right in front of the judge (case won against Remington) among other issues. But I do want more evidence if anyone has any.

I specifically want the 700p (police edition). I was told it already has an upgraded trigger. Now, I don't know what is specific about the 700p's trigger. I am guessing it has a smoother easier pull. What is the difference between that and the timney trigger?

·
Registered
409 Posts
This post kind of pissed me off. Do some more research into this. This boiled down to dumbass hicks who cranked their adjustable triggers down to a few ounces. Yes, the rifle will fire when dropped when this has been done. There are topics on this site (and every other gun site) addressing this. You've been researching a 700P since Nov. Just buy one and don't come on a site called 700rifle.com and talk about how you're really concerned about the Remington 700's safety after 10 posts.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Timney trigger have a way crisper pull and you can literially feel the trigger move back vs the X-Mark trigger has more of a snap. To me it was 308isgreats's fault why I have a Timney trigger :p

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
PALADIN said:
This post kind of pissed me off. Do some more research into this. This boiled down to dumbass hicks who cranked their adjustable triggers down to a few ounces. Yes, the rifle will fire when dropped when this has been done. There are topics on this site (and every other gun site) addressing this. You've been researching a 700P since Nov. Just buy one and don't come on a site called 700rifle.com and talk about how you're really concerned about the Remington 700's safety after 10 posts. Your profile name is CALL911. I'm going to now assume you're EMS. Or maybe dispatch
That and if you look at some of the rifles in the videos they have a lot of rust and just look maltreated which by the way is not the right way to treat a firearm.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Now why do I get the blame for your Timney purchase? :lol: Your killing me here! Funny stuff....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was pissed when I saw that crap on the msnbc report. It especially pisses me off when I go to my local range and people tell me to watch out for my gun firing on its own. I just wanna punch em' in the mouth. Remington could not duplicate any of those misfires, and what those dumbasses never heard of cleaning a gun either? Pure media garbage if ya ask me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Almost everyone I know who is NOT into guns, called me or texted me after that aired to let me know my rifle wasn't safe. That got pretty annoying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Amazing to me that people would take the MSNBC segment as gospel.I have always heard only good things about the Remington 700 ever since I can remember.Just proves that the media can be a source of dis-information.Speaking from experience I can say that the Remington 700 are excellent.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
reloader said:
Amazing to me that people would take the MSNBC segment as gospel.I have always heard only good things about the Remington 700 ever since I can remember.Just proves that the media can be a source of dis-information.Speaking from experience I can say that the Remington 700 are excellent.
And my true God told me to not believe any other gospels even if its an angle is preaching it :D or MSM ball sack :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
308isgreat said:
Now why do I get the blame for your Timney purchase? Your killing me here! Funny stuff....

"Embrace the suck!"

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 & 870 Express Noveske N4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22T
Ruger .357 Blackhawk Ruger .22 single six 3 screw Glock 21 .45
You should have never let me near your rifle :D you set me up hahahaha making me spend more $$$

................... but I love that dam trigger!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Amazing that the liberal media would take a major gun manufacture to task over a bogus issue.....:lol: This is their job to publish bogus facts on poorly researched information. I have not heard fron ONE 700 rifle owner that has had issues like the ones they are relating too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Neither have I. Like I said, if people want accurate long rifles, they'll look to the 700 (as the pros do), so you get a massive influx of people buying 700's in the last few decades because the cops and soldiers use them, and then they adjust their triggers down so far that a soft fart would make it break... you'll start having accidents. Then, a liberal media gets a hold of it and tries to make it into something it's not. Sad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, regaurdless of the tv report, there are several cases (more than a thousand) of this occuring. And if you think its all made up, there is even someone on this board who has had the issue.

I understand this is a touchy subject for PALADIN and others.

I will say that some of the issues (and it may even be a good percentage) were caused by not keeping good maintenance on the rifle.

If I've still got it wrong, post up a link not associated (or created by) Remington.

BTW, I am in the military. Not EMS.

·
Registered
795 Posts
No matter what issue a particular gun may have, they should have always practiced safe gun handling - keeping the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction. In my opinion, these simple procedures were ignored and that's why some resulted in tragic deaths.

Having said that, my SPS has the x-mark trigger (that supposedly fixed this problem). Well, I can jimmy the safety lever to halfway in between safe and fire position, squeeze the trigger slightly - release the trigger and then close the bolt and the gun will fire. I can repeat this all the time. However, using a gun in this way is not the normal way it was intended to be used. Has anyone else had this happen with their x-mark trigger?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SemperFi said:
No matter what issue a particular gun may have, they should have always practiced safe gun handling - keeping the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction. In my opinion, these simple procedures were ignored and that's why some resulted in tragic deaths.

Having said that, my SPS has the x-mark trigger (that supposedly fixed this problem). Well, I can jimmy the safety lever to halfway in between safe and fire position, squeeze the trigger slightly - release the trigger and then close the bolt and the gun will fire. I can repeat this all the time. However, using a gun in this way is not the normal way it was intended to be used. Has anyone else had this happen with their x-mark trigger?
I agree safety is paramount, but what is a "safe" direction at all times? Are you going to store the gun horizontally pointed down range where there is nothing there you don't mind shooting at all times?

At some point you will have the rifle inside or somewhere pointed at something you don't want to shoot. Even if its straight up in your house praying no one is up stairs.

My point is that if the gun can go off at any time, its hard to say what a "safe direction is". Now this matter isn't entirely about safety, as if they were unloaded and pointed in a safe direction it would be safe also. But this thread is about the rifle going off when it is on "safe", or firing not when you pull the trigger, or in other words, going off when you don't fire it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I don't think the issue was based on the rifle can go off at anytime without someone physically touching it. From what people were stating is that it can go off when you try to switch the safety or move the bolt (but with the bolt issue I only seen a police sniper have that issues which was also addressed by Remington) . When I took hunters safety class (years ago) they told me to have the firearm pointed in a safe direction when unloading and loading it. Now if that precaution would of taken place in all of the cases no one would of been killed. The main person what was always presented by the media was the one that shot and killed someone in the house while messing with the firearm. I would say once again if you plan to mess with a loaded firearm do NOT under no circumstance point it at anything you don't indent to kill or shoot.

I understand your points Call911, but how can you be sure to achieve this 100% is watch what your doing with a loaded firearm. I would say that because the firearm was messed with while loaded (either safety, or checking the bolt) is not a good thing to do if not pointed in a safe direction. To each their own opinion though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with Winxp man that the only way to treat a firearm is in a safe manner.Also with the Remington 700 the easiest way to transport or handle the gun in a safe manner is to remove the bolt.This only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Its really simple you know. Like messing with a grenade and then accidentally pulling the pin. I'm not saying that this is the case here but its how you treat a loaded firearm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts