Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a new stock for my new sps varmint in 308. Before i make my decision, i would like to know what people are using and what they like/dislike about it. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slonghi;

At the present time i AM useing a model 2098-02, bell and Carlison tactical medalist styie 5 fully adjustable on a Rem 700 bdl long action 300win mag with a 30 inch tube.... But, there are some things on the stock that I don't like.. The stock that I am going to put on it is Model 700 BDL, long action, SCP sniper, model 22-01-20, made by CHOTE Machine and Tool..
www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/22-01-20

Take a look and you will see what I am talking about at almost the same price??

Dallas

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I currently use B&C for my stocks. Last rifles I built all have the B&C 2094-22 "A-5" on them. Makes it easy for me to transition from one to the other as the only real change in rifles is the size of the cartridge and hole in the end of the barrel. All the stock adjustments are the same so I get to use the same position for all rifles.

I looked at the Choate Stocks but the ones I've seen just don't have the same look of quality that the B&C's or McMillans do. I don't care for "Mold Marks" that make a stock look like it was "poured into a 2-Piece Mold and allowed to cure". Yes, they have a high tech look and all but for the same money I prefer the better appearing quality of the B&C. For me it's all about where the bullet goes rather than how "Techno" the stock looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knapper

Thanks for the input. May I ask what you didn't like about the B&C? Their model #2094 was on my short list of stocks I was considering.

Deadshot

Do you have any complaints about your B&C?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Deadshot

Do you have any complaints about your B&C?
I really had to think on this question. If I had to pick a thing I didn't like it would be the fact that the recoil pad is just a little larger than the plate it mounts to. This leaves a little overhang on the edges. You have to look hard to see this but I would have preferred that it match more closely. Picky, Picky.

Other than that, there is not a darn thing I dislike or have complaints on. Once LOP, Cant, and Comb height are adjusted it "just shoots".

One note, be prepared for some minor fitting work if you buy one. Bottom metal dimensions vary a little from rifle to rifle and you may have to do a little "dremel work" to make it fit exactly. Also, a washer may be needed under bottom metal at the action screws to make it fit flush with the stock. All extremely minor details due to the rifle manufacturer using different parts suppliers from time to time on their bottom metal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a bell and Carlson stock fully bedded from end of action to front of the stock!! It's on a 300 Win mag black with white splashes extremely well made no misalignment to anything perfect!! I also have a H. S. Percission! Styrofoam fiberglass and dupont kevlar if you ask me they are equal except Remington wants 900 dollars for the h. S. Percission
They both have allunimun pillar blocks inline allunimun bars for rigidity pacmar shoulder cushions and when I get the bottom metal and mags h. S is 500 for trigger guard and 200each mag things are not cheap!! I'd buy bell and Carlson again next time!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same Remington SPS Varmint in 308 and have it in the B&C Medalist stock. I like it. It is heavy but that's ok because most/all of my shooting is on the range so no lugging too far. Because of my scope size, I have to raise the comb and then must remove that to extract the bolt...not really a pita. That's the worst thing I have to say about it.

It is a good shooting gun - one of my favorites.

Attachments

Reactions: TheCameraMan79

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently use B&C for my stocks. Last rifles I built all have the B&C 2094-22 "A-5" on them. Makes it easy for me to transition from one to the other as the only real change in rifles is the size of the cartridge and hole in the end of the barrel. All the stock adjustments are the same so I get to use the same position for all rifles.

I looked at the Choate Stocks but the ones I've seen just don't have the same look of quality that the B&C's or McMillans do. I don't care for "Mold Marks" that make a stock look like it was "poured into a 2-Piece Mold and allowed to cure". Yes, they have a high tech look and all but for the same money I prefer the better appearing quality of the B&C. For me it's all about where the bullet goes rather than how "Techno" the stock looks.
I agree with Deadshot2. I have two B&C Medalist A-5 stocks (2094) and I love them.

Adrian

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really didnt know what to expect from my new Remingtion Long Range rifle, but it comes with a Bell&Carlson M40 stock. I like the high comb-there is a small cut out at the front so the bolt clears the stock on disassembly. Nothing adjustable on the stock, but I like the feel of it-a bit rough but not offensively so and the higher comb fits my face very well. Time will tell, but right now I am considering ordering another in short action for my Varmint Synthetic which is still wearing the factory H&S style stock. It has the aluminum bedding block, but the stock comb is low and doesnt fit my face as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts