Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've salivated over the Model 700s long enough now. I have a current budget of $1800 to "invest" this spring. Based on wanting to get into range and tactical shooting - my thought is to set up a middle of the road rifle and learn the shooting aspects before worrying about building something more capable.

Based on what I've read and researched thus far, I'm leaning towards starting out with a Model 700 XCR 308 Tactical/26". I can get into the rifle for about $1250 and spend the rest on mid-level optics. For a "beginner" on long range / high power this sounds like a reasonable starting point.

However - I'd love to hear the ideas of the expert. So please all - chime in!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would check out the 700 5R Milspec in .308. This rifle is about 1000 with the 200 left over you can sell the stock on it, and with 400 bucks get a better stock. This is if you will not like the stock that it comes with. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just started posting.
I'm interested in trying my hand at 500 - 1000 yd/meter shooting.
Got a Rem 5R in 308, Timney trigger, and NF scope.
So far, doing well.
The two folks coaching me were very impressed with the 5R, several shots about an 1/8" from center at 500 yds.
Going to learn to "roll my own", but for now the 168 Fed GMM are doing it well.

I'm a newbee except for a run with "uncle" 41 years ago.

Here to learn and later contribute.

jt

·
Registered
62 Posts
agree with whats said above about a P or 5R base rifle. the XCR also looks to be very nice, you just don't hear too much about them. with any of them a new stock will probably be in order. although the P amd 5R come with an H&S stock while the XCR has the B&C stock. you could always sell the stock and get something nicer if you want. or keep the factory stock and spend the rest of the money on glass and mounting for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the input. After reading more about the 5R, I found out my local preferred gun store is getting a 5R in this week.

It'll be a lunch trip on Thursday to help reduce their inventory :)

I REALLY appreciate the info and look forward to trying to give back here. I will also note CAREFULLY the customizations recommended for the 5R. It looks like they'll fill some wish lists for the next year!

THANKS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old School, I own a 700P 20" and a brand new 700 SS 5-R both 308 I looked at the XCR and opted for the 5-R because of the stock resembling my 700P. I have Jewel triggers on both, a Leupold 6.5-20X50 mark4 TRM is on the new R gun. All I have done to date is fire lap the barrell with Tubbs kit and shot some loads looking for the perfect load only six five shot groups with six different loads. ALL of the different loads shot in the 7/8" to 5/8" groups. Down here in South Texas with the winds we have had of late I was amazed. My 700P shoots fantastic and it seems this SS R gun is going to follow suit. I disagree with others that glass is not important I spend more on my glass than on the gun and have never regreted it. two cheap scopes cost more than a good one. Besides the cost of a good rifle (700) and good scope can always be recaptured in a resale a cheap rifle or scope can't be sold it has to be given away. I sold a 700P 26" gun only for 1300.00 USED!! Of course it shot great and the guy appreciated the fact that it was sub MOA like .5 constantly and I could prove it to him so he went with a proven gun instead of risking getting a new one that would not shoot as good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the VLS series of M700's ( Varmint Laminated stock) made from laminated wood...wont rot...wont warp...has a superb beavertail forearm and doesnt cost $495 like some of the composite stocls do. HEAVY..so its not for rifles you will carry around a lot...but I dont do that anyway. Dont liek its looks? Thats what spray paint is for...and you can give it a base color and do a web job over that if ya like.

22-250; 243 and 308 calibers and Im having one built in .260

1 - 11 of 11 Posts