Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rem 700P 308 Win. I have added the Jewell Trigger and I have the BO bolt knob, that is really all that is done to it. (Bolt knob not yet installed)

My question is what should I do next? I would like to do things that are to make it more accurate, let me know what you think I should do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
jasonbourne said:
jerrschmitt said:
Winxp_Man said:
Try bedding the stock to the action.

This.

Before having it bedded, upgrade the recoil lug. I made the mistake of having it bedded 1st and now it would cost more to put one on.
Unless you're going to have the action trued and the threads re cut, replacing the recoil lug will do little. It's a simple matter to chisel out the stock area for a new recoil lug and re bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Action trued and threads re-cut and new recoil lug, then bed action to stock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
I would do all that when you shot out the barrel. The ideas above is like completely overhauling a rifle. That includes getting a new barrel. I would just bed the stock to the action and when the barrel has to be changed then just dremel out the bedding compound for a bigger recoil lug just like stated above me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
Unless you're going to have the action trued and the threads re cut, replacing the recoil lug will do little. It's a simple matter to chisel out the stock area for a new recoil lug and re bed.

Yep!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
I would do all that when you shot out the barrel. The ideas above is like completely overhauling a rifle. That includes getting a new barrel. I would just bed the stock to the action and when the barrel has to be changed then just dremel out the bedding compound for a bigger recoil lug just like stated above me.


Correcto! No sense in doing two major overhauls. Wait untill the barrel has "gone south" and THEN do the overhaul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Sully2 said:
Winxp_Man said:
I would do all that when you shot out the barrel. The ideas above is like completely overhauling a rifle. That includes getting a new barrel. I would just bed the stock to the action and when the barrel has to be changed then just dremel out the bedding compound for a bigger recoil lug just like stated above me.


Correcto! No sense in doing two major overhauls. Wait untill the barrel has "gone south" and THEN do the overhaul.
Exactly. When you recut the threads, your old barrel will no longer fit.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top