Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rem 700P that I will at some point change things around to be more like a Service rifle. Which one would you do, the US Army M24 or the USMC M40, and why?

I plan on doing the whole re-build, action, barrel, stock, and glass. I have the Army equivelent scope, Mk4 10x40 M3 now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How close are you wanting to get to the M24 and M40? Either way if you're wanting to clone it there's a lot of stuff to change. A short action version of the M24 wouldn't be too hard if you didn't have to have an exact copy.
I'm partial to the M24, but I've thought about putting an SPS T together as an M40 lite. I would put a B&C M40 stock on it, Badger base and rings, and the scope I'm not sure about yet. The M24 is a great rifle, but it is on the heavy side relative to others. The barrel is thicker than the 700P/Varmint/Tactical and I believe the M40 barrel is thinner too. I like shooting the M24 and it is a great bolt gun. It has its quirks from being large, long action, and the iron sights.
An M40 would simplify things a lot and you wouldn't have the feed problems that come with an M24 which can be aggrivating with some rifles or when your mag spring weakens. It is a very capable platform, and the several versions will allow you to kind of fit it to what you want to do and how you shoot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would go with the XM2010..is only Remington will release that chassis..ahh.

Since that wasn't an option.. probably the M40A5. Detachable magazine because..well hand-loading one at a time..or magazine.

If you're trying to get it as exact as possible (with matching scope) that's tough.. M24 you'd need a long action, M40 you'd need a different scope.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No question - M24 A1. That's the U.S. SOCOM magnum varient. Here's mine, I just got back from the range breaking in the barrell and then zeroing it. It started out holding 1moa and when I finnished it was pushing close to 1/4moa! Just know that the "true" M24 A1 is a 1/10 5R barrell, the recoil lug is "retard" big and it doesn't have a drop magazine (it's 3 round internal).

I can give you more specs if that's how you decide to go. Just let me know.

This is after 4 hours, 55 rounds, and 1/2 case of bottled water. (100* is horrible in Minnesota - we're the home of -40 below) I sweat soo much I think I lost 10lbs.

Pop bottle cap I found (didn't have the holes in it). :D That's at 100yds

·
Registered
277 Posts
m24shooter said:
The M24 is a great rifle, but it is on the heavy side relative to others. The barrel is thicker than the 700P/Varmint/Tactical and I believe the M40 barrel is thinner too. I like shooting the M24 and it is a great bolt gun. It has its quirks from being large, long action, and the iron sights.

We don't use the iron sights any more, there not even on the rifles. On the alpha one variant we use the USO MST 100, and also several of the Night Force variable power scopes. The M24A1 weighs 13lbs (barrell is 1.25") and we all would take the alpha one over the 82A1, that monster weighs 32.5lbs. Although I am becomming fond of my M98B (.338LM and it's 13.5lbs) I still like the M24A1 over all of them. It's butter baby.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. Right now Im leaning to the M24, but Im still doing some research and askin more questions. I do want a 338 LM sometime too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
desertdog said:
M24 Shooter, is that your service rifle or privately owned?
Unless he stenciled it, I'm guessing it's issued. The sling and stock are both stenciled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's mine.
Sling is stenciled because I have more than one 07 sling for different rifles. Stock stenciled because in a rack of black bolt guns they can be hard to tell apart and start to look alike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
hahahahahaha that's funny because it's true!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a picture that I took of a rack that my rifle was in. There were 12 rifles in that rack and almost all were black, big, bolts, with Harris pods. It was next to two other full racks that were the same.
Withe the stencils I grab or ask for A96, A30, or whatever I've got there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats cool!

As soon I can Im planning on doing a suppersor too. Just saving up for it and still doing some homework on which one I want.

·
Registered
277 Posts
m24shooter said:
I had a picture that I took of a rack that my rifle was in. There were 12 rifles in that rack and almost all were black, big, bolts, with Harris pods. It was next to two other full racks that were the same.
Withe the stencils I grab or ask for A96, A30, or whatever I've got there.

Hahahah - You should do one of those posters (with that picture) that says:

$500 - New Rifle
$3000 - Riflle Mods
$3000 - Scope
$1.75 - For a can of spray paint and stencil so you can find your rifle in a sea of black = PRICELESS!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't mind building something that looks along the lines of BOBK4T's rifle but in .338 Edge, although I want it to be a magazine-fed rifle rather than have to use the internal 3-round magazine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, that .338 edge is an amazing round. So same setup with the additional Badger Ordnance M5 Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly - that sounds good. Post pics when you get that started, I'd like to follow the build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It'll be a while before I do it. Has to do with the almighty dollar again! I'll be sure to keep everyone informed when I start the build though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
desertdog said:
Thats cool!

As soon I can Im planning on doing a suppersor too. Just saving up for it and still doing some homework on which one I want.
My question is "WHY".? Why make it look like anything? Im sure you have some purpose for this rifle....killing PD's...punching paper targets..??...something. So why not invest the time and $$ into creating the superb weapon for THAT purpose? It might even end up with a thumbhole stock on it ( I hate the looks of those things) but if thats what it takes...then thats what it takes.

I loved all that "combat" type stuff once upon a time...but then I turned 24 and forgot it all! You dont have to be just another "wannabe"...build it for your needs

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wholy Crap!

Listen up chief, I know you're a ripe old 24 and know it all, but some of us practice like we fight. Did you think of that?

You ask why? Maybe that's what he wants and that counts more than what people think of him.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts