Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide how to spend some money. I have $225 in Cabelas gift cards that I got from rewards on my credit card and am going to put some money with it to either buy a laser rangefinder (Leupold RX-750) or a Remington 870/Mossberg 500 (or a nicer used shotgun if they have one). My initial leaning was for the rangefinder, but the more that I think about it, can you have too many guns? I think not! Plus, I don't have a pump shotgun. Just a .410 and a 12 ga single shot. So, what do you guys think?

Edit: Crap, wrong section. Can mod please move this to the general discussion in the Misc section?

·
Registered
477 Posts
i bought a mossberg 500 with my federal tax return this year. so i'm gonna say the mossy. i got mine for $350 out the door brand new. 7+1, plenty of accesories and it'll shoot damn near anything i put in it.

i hate bluing so i toseed a couple coats of british DPM green on it. i'll most likely repaint it or add some darker colors when duracoat my 700P.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
desertdog said:
Sounds like you already talked yourself into the Shotgun...lol
Lol, I think that you're right. I was really set on the rangefinder for awhile and then it hit me. I could throw a couple dollars with it and have a whole new gun. Plus, the reviews on the leupold rangefinder leave me feeling less than thrilled about them.

762 said:
i bought a mossberg 500 with my federal tax return this year. so i'm gonna say the mossy. i got mine for $350 out the door brand new. 7+1, plenty of accesories and it'll shoot damn near anything i put in it.

i hate bluing so i toseed a couple coats of british DPM green on it. i'll most likely repaint it or add some darker colors when duracoat my 700P.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac134/88_Eddie/Stuff/P4200001.jpg
Nice 762! Have you ever shot an 870? I need to get out and check some out. My buddy has a benelli nova that's pretty sweet, but we are getting into a different price range for one of those.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Taking that you posted in the Long Range shooting section I would say a decent range finder is nice.
RF my vote.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What about the Interstate Arms\Norinco 870 copy? You can get the Defender model (ghost ring sights) for about $200.. $150 is a lot of shotgun shells\upgrades.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Kansas_Born said:
Nice 762! Have you ever shot an 870? I need to get out and check some out. My buddy has a benelli nova that's pretty sweet, but we are getting into a different price range for one of those.
yeah, i've shot an 870. my uncle has one. i like it too. i have no problem with the 870 either. i'll probably buy one at some point down the road, have other guns to get first though. i really cant tell a difference in the 2.

i went with the mossy for a few reasons: 1) a little cheaper 2)same amount of accessories/spare parts available. 3)i've owned 2 remington firearms, so i thought i'd branch out 4) the mossy held more rounds than the 870 (without having to buy an extention)

benelli's are cool, it just seems like you're paying more for a name than anything. if i win the lottery, i'll get one, but i cant justify spending that much money on a shot gun.

i've heard good things about the pardner protectors and the norinco copies, but when it comes to firearms, you get what you pay for. i only buy quality stuff b/c i dont want to have problems down the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Taking that you posted in the Long Range shooting section I would say a decent range finder is nice.
RF my vote.
Yeah, I screwed up on that. Meant to get it into the Misc General Discussion area. Sorry!

762 said:
yeah, i've shot an 870. my uncle has one. i like it too. i have no problem with the 870 either. i'll probably buy one at some point down the road, have other guns to get first though. i really cant tell a difference in the 2.

i went with the mossy for a few reasons: 1) a little cheaper 2)same amount of accessories/spare parts available. 3)i've owned 2 remington firearms, so i thought i'd branch out 4) the mossy held more rounds than the 870 (without having to buy an extention)

benelli's are cool, it just seems like you're paying more for a name than anything. if i win the lottery, i'll get one, but i cant justify spending that much money on a shot gun.

i've heard good things about the pardner protectors and the norinco copies, but when it comes to firearms, you get what you pay for. i only buy quality stuff b/c i dont want to have problems down the road.
762, I'll assume that you're not talking about the Nova or even Super Nova. They are in the $400 -$475 range. My buddy is with you guys and thinks the 870 is the way to go as there is more room for modification (cheaper at least). I really wanted a combo for field and home defense but we shall see.

I went to Dicks yesterday and checked out the 870, 500, and Nova. The Nova has the best feel overall and for $50 more, it'll be a struggle not to reach into my pocket and get one. Hopefully I'll be able to get out to Cabelas tomorrow and see what they have. Who knows what will happen out there left to my own devices! That's store has a way of forcing me to spend way more money than I ever intended.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ive got 2 870s, both are several years old. The first is a SP, and has been used for ducks and geese for years. The other is a rifled barrel slug gun. Never had a problem with either, the duck gun has seen ALOT more shells, mainly 3 inchers. I like the steel reciever of the 870.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i'm not gonna lie, i dont know much about benelli. i've never shot one, just held them and seen them in magazines. what i've seen was always close to $1000 or more and that was just in the dicks catalog. when you said it was a different price range, that's what i was thinking. i really didnt realize they had anything in that market.

to me, if you put a different recoil pad on a shotgun, that can make a hell of a difference on how it handles. but in the end, it's a 12 gauge, you're gonna pay for every shot.

i think you'll be happy with whatever you get, just post pics!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
762 said:
i'm not gonna lie, i dont know much about benelli. i've never shot one, just held them and seen them in magazines. what i've seen was always close to $1000 or more and that was just in the dicks catalog. when you said it was a different price range, that's what i was thinking. i really didnt realize they had anything in that market.

to me, if you put a different recoil pad on a shotgun, that can make a hell of a difference on how it handles. but in the end, it's a 12 gauge, you're gonna pay for every shot.

i think you'll be happy with whatever you get, just post pics!!!
Well, I went to Cabela's today to get in on their 50th anniversary sale and ended up coming home with a new toy. I can't take pictures tonight since my camera battery decided that it was going to die right as I was getting everything set up. I ended up going with a 12 gauge Benelli Nova with a 26 inch barrel. They were on sale for $399 and with my gift cards and a mail flier I got it and a case for $205 out the door. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. They had a Mossberg combo and an 870 combo but they were either the same price or $20-30 cheaper. I've shot my buddies benelli and it's pretty sweet so that combined with prices and feel led me to make that choice. Now I just need to find time to get out and shoot her before practice for deer season and weather takes all of my days. Thanks for the votes and advice even though I went in a slightly different direction. Pics to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pictures as promised.

And some of my others! Not bad considering this time last year I didn't have any at all.

·
Registered
477 Posts
sweet! nice looking gun you ended up with.

nice lineup, i want a mosin nagant just to screw around with

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! The mosin was actually my first and I had intended to do a full custom job before I decided to buy the 700. It shoots pretty well and is fun to "plink" with. Maybe one day I'll get back around to what I had planned. I still have an H&R 12 ga single shot shotgun that's in pieces that needs to be refinished. It's in pretty bad shape but then again, so was the .410 pictured above. I think that it turned out really well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts