Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a 700 in the near future. I own a 270 which I have used for years but have recently drawn an Elk tag in Nevada. I've been wanting to add a 300 win mag and will make it a 700. Which 700 would be recommended that would need minimal work to be dialed out to longer distances (sps/xcr)? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
between the SPS or a XCR I would go XCR all the way. I have a friend in WA state and hunts with a Sendero SF II in 300 WM like mine and says its perfect for his elk hunting trips. I don't know how much you want to spend but I do love my Sendero SF II.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey bud new to the site :D ,A lot of elk have fell to the great 270,that was jack o'conner's favorite,BUT with the 300 win mag at long distance there is NO tracking with proper placement,I know i love mine in the 700 classic,I love the classic's,But if you ain't never pulled the trigger on one,You better try one on before you buy one,The 300 win ain't bashful when you pull the hammer.Anyway glad i found the site,Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have killed elk with both a .270 win and a .300 H&H and I would say that the .270 would be more than enough. The reason I say this is that you are very familiar with your .270 and it will take some time and shooting to be just as comfortable with the .300
Don't get me wrong, I love the 300's I owned the 300 H&H, 300 Win mag, and the Weatherby. They all shot great, but they are not fun to shot of the bench. If you are going to be shooting long distances (300 yards plus) than I would say go for the 300, but if you are 200 yards and under stay with 270
If you really want a super elk gun look at finding a 700 in the 8mm Remington mag. (if you are a reloader) this is one of my all time favorite elk guns, and the 338 win is my second.
Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally I like the ballistics of the 300 win mag. Its no slouch and my uncle swears by it up in ID.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot in my other post, but I would recommend the XCR. I really do not have any experience with the newer 700's, and to be honest with you all of my 700's are from the late 60's through the early 90's. I have not bought a new Remington in over 10 years.
The reason that I would recommend the XCR over the SPS is from what I have seen and compared at Sportsman Warehouse, it seems like a much better rifle (in my opinion).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts