Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the ways I could justify (even to myself!) buying my SPS Tactical .308 was the fact that it would make a decent deer rifle and with the 20" barrel it would be a bit easier to manage in the woods and getting up and down a treestand. I have so far added an EGW scope base and I am using a Nikon 3-9X40 scope. This rifle will get lots of upgrades and goodies as life goes on and I am looking to upgrade the stock next. I dont have a preference as to Bell and Carlson or HS Precision but I do want a stock that is comfortable to shoot from a prone or standing position as well as laying down. My plan is for my rifle to have a high utility factor and not be specifically set up for tactical/long range shooting.

I am open to opinions and suggestions here, especially if someone is also hunting with their SPS!

Mucho Thanks!

Ig.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My rifle fully loaded weighs 12 pounds and the longest hike I went on was about 4-6 miles and I did fine. My setup is as follows........................

Here is my Remmy 700 SPS Tac:

Action: Remmy 700
Barrel: Stock SPS Tac 20" barrel
Bolt: Badger Ordinance Bolt
Stock: HS Precision 5R take off bedded
Trigger: Timney 510 @ 2.5LB
Bipod: Harris BR-S
Base: EGW 20MOA
Rings: Warne 30mm Low
Scope: Hawke 4.5-14x42 SideWinder Tactical
Muzzle Brake: Roedale c21.5 (clamp on style)

Here is my best 100 yard groups after I got my muzzle brake 1-28-11 One three shot group was .217 and a 4 shot group .319

Here is my 534-50 +- yard group came out at 2.520

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ya its a really nice stock not bad at all. I would think that its also a little cheaper in price vs the HS Precision.

·
Registered
62 Posts
only problem is finding one in stock. i ended up getting a B&C A2 for my SPS Varmint. but mine won't be a hunting rig.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What about grabbing the McMillian M40A1 stock?? I do love my McM A-5 though :)

Winxp, that 44.5gr Varget what projie was that load?? 168gr or 175gr??

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The only 168 SMKs I shot was some from 308isgreat here on the forum and the factory FGMM stuff. I personally load only 175 SMK's.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ill try some 44.5, I usually load 44gr Varget behind my 175gr SMK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts