Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been raining, blowing and cold all day. The wife is on her computer listening to music, the dogs and cat are wollered up in the dog house, the chickens won't come out of their pen and I've got cabin fever. So I'm shopping!!
What shooting rest do y'all reccommend. I have seen pictures on this site of the Caldwell and have researched many others, but nothing beats first hand recommendations. Prices go from cheap to outrageous. Here is the Caldwell. It seems pretty good. www.opticsplanet.net/caldwell-rock-br-competition-front-shooting-rest-440907.html
Tell me what you like.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you're going to be using it in competition, the Caldwell won't hack it. I've had mine for about 5 years and love it for my purposes. I'm a Prairie dog shooter and backyard target shooter. It does everything I need with a few mods. Toss the sandbag that comes with it and buy a proper one from Protektor. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=524068.

I also use a speed screw from Sinclair International. I just looked at the price of them and If I needed a new one I think I'd pass. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37220/Product/Sinclair_Speed_Screw

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the purpose of the speed screw and would be willing to buy one, however, the info on it says "NOTE: Will fit Sinclair, Hart and Bald Eagle pedestals only. Three eights x sixteen thread". Do you think it will fit the Caldwell? Do you like the windage adjustment on the Caldwell?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I bought the speed screw for my old Hart rest and then put it on the Caldwell. Fit fine. The windage top is the weak point on the Caldwell. It causes the top to rotate rather than slide from side to side. That binds the forearm and changes the friction on it. They can be changed but I never did.

When I shoot I keep one hand on the speed screw to maintain elevation and adjust windage with stock position.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you like the stock stop? Does is contact the barrel? Your Caldwell looks highly sophisticated next to the brake rotor and angle iron. Ya gotta love Yankee ingenuity. :) I appreciate you taking the time to help me make the right choices. I hate buying things and being disappointed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YEEEHAW!! My lovely wife just ordered the Caldwell for me as a Christmas gift. Caught me completely off guard. Now I will definitely do the mods.

·
Registered
526 Posts
RidgeRunner said:
Do you like the stock stop? Does is contact the barrel? Your Caldwell looks highly sophisticated next to the brake rotor and angle iron. Ya gotta love Yankee ingenuity. :) I appreciate you taking the time to help me make the right choices. I hate buying things and being disappointed.
I've made three different stock stops. The one I have now is the best of them. It works well for stocks that don't have sling swivels and keeps everything the same for each shot. If I'm using my hunting rifle I take the stop off. No, it doesn't touch the barrel

That old brake rotor rest has been with me since about 1967. I was stationed in Las Vegas and found it on the old Nellis AFB Machine gun range. Someone had made a bunch of them and they were laying all over the place. The Range had been abandoned sometime after WW2 or Korea. I think the rotor was off some airplane because it's much bigger than a car rotor and disk brakes weren't to common back then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts