700Rifle.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gentlemen:

I’m new to this forum but have been shooting the Model 700 since 1981.

I am looking at purchasing a Model 700 stainless steel 7mm Mag from a friend of mine for my grandson.There are no date codes stamped on the left side of the barrel. The right side of the barrel has the following stamped on it: a “triangle” with a zigzag or sideways “z” in it, then an “oval” with “REP” in it, then what appears to be a “D”.
The serial # is S6452XXX. The bolt has the “infamous” J-lock and the bolt can be opened and closed with the safety on when the J-lock is in the unlocked “red dot” position. The bottom of the receiver has a hinge plate that opens for unloading the magazine. It has a “zebra wood” looking stock on it which I don’t know if it’s original or not. It has a 24” barrel with no sights.
In looking at the Dates of Manufacture on the Remington Society website, it indicates that no date codes were stamped on the barrel from 08/09/99 to 10/01/01, but were printed on the box instead. Unfortunately the seller does not have the box and bought it several years ago from an acquaintance. I would therefore “assume” that this rifle was manufactured between 08/09/99 and 10/01/01; however, in looking at the list of beginning letters for serial numbers, the letter “S” would appear to be 1998. If I’m looking at all of this correctly, then I would think that it would have had a date code stamped on it. What am I missing here?
Would this 700 be a BDL? See photos attached.
Thank you ahead of time for any help offered.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York. The model would have an LS in it for Laminated Stock. And probably and S too for the Stainless Barrel and Action, not BDL. My Varmint Model with a Blued Barrel and Action is a VLS - Varmint, Laminated Stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Any idea when it might have been manufactured?

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
There are others on the site that have a better handle on date coding and I am sure by the morning, someone, probably Mayor or Doom, will be able to provide more help. So of the problem with Remington 700s is that there have also been large runs of special order guns made for specific stores like Dick's or specific Distributors, like Jerry's had been. Some of them were never regular cateloged production models.

Does this have a 24" Barrel. There was a LSS model - Laminated / Stainless Steel. It was in 7mm Rem Magnum and had the Grey rather than Brown Laminated stock. UPC Code 047700259338

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob I copied and pasted that UPC code you gave me and found this old listing on Cheaper than Dirt website. The picture of the rifle is very similar to the one I’m looking at. Thanks again for the info.

Remington 700 LSS Bolt Action Rifle 7mm Remington Magnum 24" Stainless Steel Barrel Black Laminate Stock

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I like the 7mm Rem Mag for a long range hunting round, though I no longer hunt. I still have my Mauser 4000 in that caliber. I don't have a picture of mine on this computer, but this is what the Mauser 4000 Looks like. Mine has the 26" Barrel with no signs and more figured and darker wood. It is more like ,my Parker Hale 1200 in .30-06 with the Rosewood Forend and Grip caps rather than black. Still have that Remington 700 Look and the Mauser action was always a solid one.

When Mauser got out of the civilian firearms business, Dayton Outdoor Sports, a distributor that I bought from when I owned my gun shop, closed them out. I bought 27 or them in various calibers and in both right and left hand. Even by the dollar value of the day at $115 each on average it was one hell of a deal.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
I believe the S Serial number prefix goes on all stainless receivers. The receiver serial number prefix doesn’t correspond with the barrel date codes.

To tie the date down any further than what you have would require a call to Customer Service.

Note: I have 2 700’s purchased new in 2009 and 2012. Both have non stainless receivers with G prefix and no barrel codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering about the "S" in the serial number possibly meaning stainless. Ok, I will try to give customer service a call. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the 7mm Rem Mag for a long range hunting round, though I no longer hunt. I still have my Mauser 4000 in that caliber. I don't have a picture of mine on this computer, but this is what the Mauser 4000 Looks like. Mine has the 26" Barrel with no signs and more figured and darker wood. It is more like ,my Parker Hale 1200 in .30-06 with the Rosewood Forend and Grip caps rather than black. Still have that Remington 700 Look and the Mauser action was always a solid one.

When Mauser got out of the civilian firearms business, Dayton Outdoor Sports, a distributor that I bought from when I owned my gun shop, closed them out. I bought 27 or them in various calibers and in both right and left hand. Even by the dollar value of the day at $115 each on average it was one hell of a deal.

Bob View attachment 5526
Very nice rifle. Thanks for sharing. Both of my 1981 BDL's are left handed. I never knew what a cheek rest felt like having shot right-handed rifles left handed all my life. Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good morning gentlemen:

I’m new to this forum but have been shooting the Model 700 since 1981.

I am looking at purchasing a Model 700 stainless steel 7mm Mag from a friend of mine for my grandson.There are no date codes stamped on the left side of the barrel. The right side of the barrel has the following stamped on it: a “triangle” with a zigzag or sideways “z” in it, then an “oval” with “REP” in it, then what appears to be a “D”.
The serial # is S6452XXX. The bolt has the “infamous” J-lock and the bolt can be opened and closed with the safety on when the J-lock is in the unlocked “red dot” position. The bottom of the receiver has a hinge plate that opens for unloading the magazine. It has a “zebra wood” looking stock on it which I don’t know if it’s original or not. It has a 24” barrel with no sights.
In looking at the Dates of Manufacture on the Remington Society website, it indicates that no date codes were stamped on the barrel from 08/09/99 to 10/01/01, but were printed on the box instead. Unfortunately the seller does not have the box and bought it several years ago from an acquaintance. I would therefore “assume” that this rifle was manufactured between 08/09/99 and 10/01/01; however, in looking at the list of beginning letters for serial numbers, the letter “S” would appear to be 1998. If I’m looking at all of this correctly, then I would think that it would have had a date code stamped on it. What am I missing here?
Would this 700 be a BDL? See photos attached.
Thank you ahead of time for any help offered.
Looks like the 700 LSS. The date code on the barrel may be under the stock line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the stock and there were no date codes below the stock line.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts