Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to this... Notice everyone talking about lapua, federal and winchester brass and not so much as reloading with Remington. Is there any particular reason to this? I am looking into getting into reloading to make my beast the most accurate rifle I can make it. Gonna start off with the baseline of.....

175gr SMK bullets
Varget powder ranging from 42-45gr in .5 increments
CCI BR2 Primers
???? Brass

and lastly the reason for posting. I see a lot of people using the above formula with the addition of Winchester brass with great results. I have 40 rounds of remington match ammo brass at home here and was contemplating using that, but theres no real mention of people reloading too much with remington. Should a person try the rem brass, or go right for the winny?

Thanks in advance for comments. Sorry for the possible noob question, but I am a reloading noob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi.308remy, i use the win chrome plated cases from the win ballistic silvertip 168 gr. that i used as running in rds. they load and extract better than any brass cases and dont scratch up at all. my rem 700 adl is in 308w. my best load is adi 2208 which is about the same as varget . the load is 44.5 gr with nosler 150 gr ballistic tips. cci br2 primers. ocl is 2.805 any longer and they dont fit in the mag well,they rock up and down. and hard to load and extract. group size is 5/8" at 100yds. first 2 clover leaf. when i was getting to that load i went up in powder like. 44.00, 44.02, 44.04, 44.50, 44.06, 44.08. till i got the best groups. hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my wife beat me to it, i came home from work the other day to find a rcbs rock chucker supreme master kit, rcbs .308 die set and rcbs .308 shell holder waiting for me :D :D :D What a woman!! Lol. From "uggghh more gun stuff" to actually going out and getting me gun stuff is quite promising haha. Cant wait to work up some loads and start having some spring shooting fun

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :clapping, clapping, clapping: congrats and one heck of a woman for sure :)

before you know it you will be shooting some really accurate rounds!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shes definitely the love of my life. We even spent the afternoon again adding to my reloading supplies. Picked up a lyman 1200 auto flo turbo tumbler, lyman tufnut media, lee cutter & lock stud, lee case length gauge & shell holder combo, flash hole deburring tool, primer pocket brush and a couple more hard bullet cases. The only upgrade I missed out on is a digital scale. None in town at the hunting shops.
We then went to the hardware store, picked up some lumber and fasteners, went home and built some shelving and brace supports for my "reloading shop" in the basement.
Eagerly waiting for my first hand loading experience tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i didnt miss out on the digital scale... just didnt look hard enough. Picked up a RCBS range master 750 and a powder trickler to top off my supply list. I managed to reload the 35 fired shells I had last night also. Started with the following ingredients

175gr smk bullets
hodgson varget powder
cci br2 primers
remington match brass
case trimmed to 2.010
oal 2.800

and loaded each to these specs with variations in powder

5 rounds at 43gr
5 rounds at 43.5gr
*10 rounds at 44gr
*10 rounds at 44.5gr
5 rounds at 45gr

* seems to be the most popular and best results in the sps tact 20" so loaded for 2 5 shot groupings. will likely fine tune +- .1 gr when find the best load mentioned above.

Just waiting the arrival of my barrel etc and will run my remaining 168gr remington match to resight, than let the testing begin.

my first reloads :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What I really meant to say was are you measuring off the ogive of the bullet ? because that will make some difference in groups it did for me anyways.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moment of truth for my handloads... Had the afternoon to test out the newly added muzzlebreak and my handloads. Used the last 168gr remington match ammo to get on paper(scope was removed for muzzlebreak install, needless to say re sight-in)

todays stats accordin to iphone isnipe program

wind - 26.64 km/hour (pain in butt)
wind angle - 258.2 deg
altitude - 2253 ft
temp - 6.5 *C
pressure - 29.56 in HG
humidity 55.1

Once i hit paper with the 168gr, I never corrected for the 175gr replacements, never adjusted for wind compensation....just wanted to see what groups ran tighter.

Here is a shot of the primers... left to right varget 43,43.5,44,44.5,45.....no over pressuring at all with these loads.

the first test shot on a seperate target...43gr of varget

heres the next 4 groups of shots

and for the fun of it a 477 yard attempt.... hit, but high( never set up my chrono, so not sure fps for the loads. I guessed at a velocity and put into iphone program, dialed the scope in and made a bottle hit atleast.

Hoping when I put the timney trigger in as well as when new stock arrives, the groups will tighen up some more.

I ended up going with the 44.5gr load

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old post, but the OPs original question was never answered and I was curious about this. Is Remington brass any good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nope. I have been using it in the 222 rem, because it was the only brass I could find. I end up neck trimming alot even with light loads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts