Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a curiousity standpoint. Why does everyone only post 3 shot groups? I was always told to effectively get what potential accuracy your rifle is capable of you should shoot 10 shot groups minimum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's my opinion that you need at least five, five shot groups to know what your rifle is doing. A three shot group is meaningless. I don't mean five hand picked groups either. Shoot five groups consisting of five rounds on a single sheet of paper, then average them. That's what your gun does.

Here's mine. The avg of 5 groups is .451

·
Registered
70 Posts
From a hunting standpoint if you have to fire your weapon more than 3 times you've already failed. Especially if you're using a rifle with a sporter type barrel. From a match or competition standpoint you really need to know how your rifle is going to react to heating up and how consistent it will be when that happens. I can see different types of groups for different applications. I generally shoot 3 shot groups because my intent is to hunt and not shoot more than one round. With this in mind it really doesn't matter for me to shoot a group at all. I need to know where my point of impact is from a cold bore and that it is going to be the same every time. Technically I should shoot one shot and set the gun aside for a half hour before I shoot another to verify consistency. But then, what fun is that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
What I started doing with my Hunting Rifles is shoot a 3 shot group and call it a day. Then the next day I will hang the same target 1/4 turn off from where i had it the first day and shoot another 3 shot group. I do this for 4 days.

As 700Sage stated with a Hunting Rifle if you need more than 3 shots you are out of luck to start with, and we all know in a hunting situation the first shot is the most important.

With a T/C Encore Rifle with a .30-06 Bergara Barrel that I had last year the first shot from a cold barrel was always 1 to 1/12" higher on my target at 100 yards than the rest of the group whether I shot 3 shots or 10 shots. It would print the remaining shots of the group into a 1" group but never was the first shot with the rest of the group. I tried several different methods of forend attachment (hanger bars, pillars, totally bedded) and nothing changed it. That is the reason why I stated I HAD that Rifle, it went down the road. I could let that Encore sit for a half hour and it would shoot a great group, but if I let it sit for a couple hours the first shot was again 1 to 1/12" higher on my target at 100 yards than the rest of the group.

My current Remington Model 700 .308 is a totally different story though. It doesn't seem to matter if the barrel is cold or clean or fairly warm, the point of impact is always the same for the entire group.

Now my varmint rifles are a different story altogether. My DPMS Panther Bull 20 .223 I shoot 10 shot groups. This Rifle usually gets shot more than a couple times when I shoot it, but I still always make a note of where the first shot of that group goes out of a cold bore.

Larry

·
Registered
639 Posts
I usually shoot 3rd groups. Dunno why, just always have. With my 22, I shoot 5rd groups. Maybe because of the cost of ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only reason why I shoot three round groups is that it is the way the Army teachs you to zero your weapon. Shoot three rounds and adjust, three more and adjust until you are shooting three rounds in close proximity at 100 yards.

Having qualified expert through many ranges in the Army, from 9mm sidearms to 50 caliber machine guns, any time I shoot a semi-auto or bolt action its been a three round group for me to judge accuracy and point of impact.

This may change now that I am getting into target shooting and possibly some amatuer competition in the future if all goes well and I really get into shooting precision.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Three shot groups are fine for establishing your zero. Determining accuracy requires more. Accuracy = repeatability. I hear a lot of folks say that their rifle will shoot 1/2 inch groups all day, when what they really mean is that they shot a 3 shot group that measured 1/2 once. Just remember that a flier can tighten a group as well as loosen it up.

If you really want to know what your rifle, and you, can do, shoot 5 groups and average them out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your REALLY want to see what your rifle can do, take two 5 hour energy shots, two large cans of Redbull and two large cups of coffee on your way to the range..... <tweek, tweek>

Yes, consistency is the key to accuracy with all weapons but years of military range days and training have taught me that you use three shots to zero and only one round to kill, if you are lucky and skilled enough.

One could also say that 5 shots will not give you how accuarate a rifle is because there are so many variables.

Try hitting 5 bullseyes with one round each in less than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
+ 1 for three shot groups to sighting in the rifle.

+ 1 for 5 shot groups to see how the rifle really shoots.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I normally shoot 3 shoot groups because I am a ground hog shooter and almost all of my shots are cold bore shots. When hunting we take turns shooting and by the time it gets back to me the barrel is cold.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Three-0-eight said:
If your REALLY want to see what your rifle can do, take two 5 hour energy shots, two large cans of Redbull and two large cups of coffee on your way to the range..... <tweek, tweek>

Try hitting 5 bullseyes with one round each in less than 30 seconds.
Hard to do with my single shot Varmint rifles. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
try hitting 5 1/4'' bulls eyes and 2 hookers running in different directions with the same bullet...

Thats true accuracy!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hitting two hookers running in different directions is easy....

as long as they are both on one side of you....

As far as I am concerned, its not how many shots you have in your group at all. You could do three, five, ten, or 100 its all the same to me as long as your landing the rounds within a decent grouping.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Two hookers in different direction and one shot hahahahahaha ----------------------------D H H ----->

1 - 15 of 15 Posts