700Rifle.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebarreled my 700 308 with a SS Bison barrel with a Remage set up. I have checked the headspace over and over and it closes perfectly on the go gauge, and won’t lock on the no go gauge. I can load, shoot and eject spent brass without a problem. Bolt cycles very smoothly. The problem is when I try to unload a live round. I have to tap the bolt back with a mallet, and the the bullet stays in the barrel, and the casing comes out. I then have to rod the bullet out. I have cleaned the barrel and chamber maticulously and continue to have the same problem. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
It this a factory round or a reload with brass fired in another rifle/barrel?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had this problem with a rebarreled M1 Garand it stopped after about 50 rounds,the Garand experts told me it was a tight throat,I never have had any problems since so I believe them.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I tight throat would make the case stick. Sounds like you have a short free bore. What projectile weight is your match factory rounds. When you tap the bolt back and take out the live round, are there any rifling marks on the projectile once you get the projectile out of the barrel. It sounds to me like you are jamming the projectile into the rifling.

You can have the free bore opened up by a competent rifle smith.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
You’re bullet is engaging the rifling. This could be a function of the chamber or the bullet. Do you know what reamer was used? Do you know the freebore dimension?

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Will Bisson send you a Print of the Reamer they use?
This is what one will look like. From this we can tell pretty much all.
6BRNorma.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts