Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to give the 155 gr lapua scenars a go. I have not got to try them long range yet but I like the speed and goups I'm getting at 100 yards this was my 4 shot group that was the best played with seating depth a little anyone that thinks I can get it tighter give me some advice.
Here's the load info
Lapua brass
155 gr Lapua Scenar
46.9 gr varget (no pressure signs)
C.o.a.l. 2.888
Avg MV 2900fps
Went from coal of 2.915 to 2.888 got a little tighter. 46.5 gr varget was also pretty accurate not like this load though.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my loads were shot of my bipod and a box of empty ammo at the back of the rifle shootin in the prone position on my porch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good shooting and good to have dope on another load to play with. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea Im gonna stick with what I got for now and one day soon Im gonna try to see if i cant work it even better at 200 or 300 yards. Anybody know good sites that gives good tutorials or videos on working up loads on .308 or any other caliber I need all the help I can get, still kinda new at this load development.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What kind of info are you looking for ?

First : Trim and prep cases the same as close as possible.

Second: Make sure your scale can measure charge to charge as close as possible.

Thrid : Until you see a sweet spot for the load start a new load at the 10% less charge
and increase by .5 until you see a spot that looks like its going to be a good load then
play with .1 or .2 of a grain until you get what looks like the best.

Fourth : You will want to measure off the OGIVE of the bullet versus the tip when seating a bullet.
Bullet tips dont matter on length variation its the ogive that has to be measured
accurate because its the ogive that engages the rifling. Also COAL is more forgiving
on Sierra bullets versus the Berger and I think even the Hornady A-Max bullets. Another
words the Sierra care much if you are jumping it or pushing it close to the lands.

Hope this will help a little.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I know I need something to measure the ogive for sure I think tips can vary by 3 thousands at least sometimes. One thing I do wonder about I been using a rcbs comp seating die and have used several others and seat 4 or 5 bullets and never once when measuring have I ever had the same coal. This makes having something to measure ogive handy. When seating Bullets. do each measure out different without adjustments on the die when measuring from ogive? Or is there that much difference in measuring coal without something to measure the ogive?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The tips are just that even but it will not make a difference when measuring off the ogive. The tool you need I know Hornady makes one also Sinclair. It's called a comparator. There are two prices to it. The first piece is holding part the second is the ogive sleeve for the different calibers. For me when I seat with the comp die and the comparator tool I'm on the money all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts