Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 700 SPS Tac. in 308. It has the X Mark Pro trigger with the set screw in the trigger. After much searching on this and other forums, there appears to be a couple of different X Mark Pro Triggers? Anyway, after using the provided allen wrench and turning the set screw in the trigger, the weight is no less, despite the screw protruding out of the trigger and feeling uncomfortable to my finger when shooting. The instructions say 1 complete turn of the allen screw should lesses the trigger pull 1 pound but I am still at 4 1/2 lbs, despite the screw sticking way out. Can anyone provide some insight? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I did the same to my trigger originally. When measured I was able to get it down to 2.5lbs

At one point I removed the entire screw accidentally while adjusting. This may or may not have helped my process.
Because after it felt lighter and registered at the 2.5.

I shot a few rounds without a problem but would not recommend as it may somehow pose a safety or structural issue.

The only options you have really are to continue
Tryig to tune it, take it to a smith and have it prof. Done or buy a new trigger.

I recommend buying a new trigger if funds are available.
I saved and purchased a Jewell hvr and could not be happier now I have a crisp light consistent 1lb pull

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Yeah I was able to put it back in after dropping the darn thing about 10 times lol. Once I got it in I tightened it all the way and then started to loosen it back out As far as possible without it comming out.

I called Remington to see if removing that screw would damage anything. The only
Thing they said was that it can become unhooked and no longer adjust the trigger pull

In my case this didn't happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'll screw it in all the way and start over. 4 1/2 lbs is too much right now. Did Remington happen to say what would be a reasonable trigger pull to get it down to? I would like to see 2 or 2 1/2.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It should have came to you with a 3lb pull from factory. The thing with the xmark pros is they are not all the same in adjustment ranges.
Mine went to a pretty clean 2.5 but I've heard alot of people complain that the lowest they got is a 3lb and some in the 4lb range.

It's a crapshoot on which you get I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
desertdog said:
Im not sticking with the factory trigger for long. Jewel or timney not sure yet.
Yep, kinda leaning toward a Timney myself. Can't really seem to find anything bad about them on the net.

·
Registered
403 Posts
firecaptain said:
desertdog said:
Im not sticking with the factory trigger for long. Jewel or timney not sure yet.
Yep, kinda leaning toward a Timney myself. Can't really seem to find anything bad about them on the net.
Timney 510 will do you well. For the $$ there hard to beat. Jewel is an outstanding trigger, but at double the $$ my Timney is great!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Personally the main reason I like the Timney is because it has a really big shoe that I like.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well Im ordering my Jewell trigger on Sat. and I found a place that is $215 Shipped priority USPS. I cant wait to try it out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
After adjusting my X Mark Pro trigger to a point that I considered perfect, it occured to me that it might not pass a drop test. By smartly rapping the buttstock downward against the wood floor I found that the the rifle would have indeed discharged at that setting. Another half turn back took the trigger to slighly less then perfect, but allowed it to pass the impact test. I then used locktite to maintain the setting's integrity. Just a caveat for those attempting a diy trigger with the X Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Redcell, exactly how did you adjust it down so low?

I have my Jewell set to 1lb and slam tested fine.
On the xmark I was at 2.5 and it slam tested fine as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i tried to adjust my xmark pro with the wrench myself too following a video tutorial, but i think i botched it, i probably turned it the wrong way (cant remember which way i turned it). so i'll make it easier: if i have the rifle in my lap upside down (trigger guard upwards, scope downwards), with the muzzle pointing in front of me, would i have to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to loosen it? thanks.
just yesterday i noticed how my trigger is WAY WAY tougher than a stock remmie VTR that doesnt have the adjustable xmark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah i had figured it out by the above posts but i kinda reckoned by the time i unscrewed it by a noticeable amount id risk unscrewing it off completely like you did. will give it a try though regardless, fact is im a complete noob.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts