Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fired many firearms in my life (civilian and military), but I have personally only ever owned one bolt, and it was a Kimber Sporterized M96 1901 Carl Gustav in 6.5x55 Swed. Barrel, bolt and action were numbers matching. It was a cheap rifle ($240 NIB) that was never horribly accurate beyond 100 yards. Lately it has been splitting cases badly, and measurements indicated a head space that was .021 out of spec. I see no reason to own an inaccurate firearm, so rather than pour money into a 110 year old action and hope it's not wasted, I decided that purchasing a modern rifle was a better idea. I only target shoot so my shopping criteria was pretty straight forward:

1) Cartridge with proven ballistics and reasonable to buy off the shelf price (although I usually do my own reloading).
2) Rifle that was easy to modify, proven, and accurate.

It was a short list in my mind, mostly looking at Savage and Remington. I love Ruger firearms (with many revolvers, pistols, a 10/22 and Mini-14 Tactical in my vault) but the M77 just doesn't seem to have the solid reputation I would like before paying what they are asking. Since I have some experience with the M24 from the Army, I had a soft spot for the 700 platform...and NO, I was not a sniper, as is evident from my shot groups below. :rolleyes: My job simply afforded me trigger time on just about everything that fired a projectile.

So, I have a new 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win. It is completely stock for now with only Harris bipods in this picture. It has also gotten a Blackhawk slotted rail, and a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm that was salvaged off my Kimber M96. I will post up a picture of the total package as soon as I get one taken. I would like to get a higher mag scope, but first I have other things I am doing. I know I could have gotten the SPS Tac, but my intention from the start was to put on the stock of MY choice, so paying the lower cost of the Varmint made sense. The articles I have read are very favorably toward the Varmint, especially with a proper floated stock. I have a custom Richards Microfit laminate target stock on order.

So here is the basic rifle:

Here are the best results from my first day out. I fired a total of 26 rounds from the rifle: (20) 150gr Rem Core-Lokt, and 6 rounds of 168 Federal GMM. Considering my relative inexperience with bolt rifles and this rifle in particular, I am decently pleased. I am going to need LOTS more trigger time to get my skill up to the rifle's potential, but hey, that is half the fun! ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Great Pic, I love seeing the befores! hahaha it's all uphill from here. It's only going to get better. Really Cool seeing out of the box rifle and knowing you're goint to re-stock it.

And I agree, good choice to save money on the varmiter since you're replacing the stock anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll get a current pic up tomorrow, photography is another hobby of mine and I want to get some really good pictures of the 700.

Richards has an 8 week lead on their stocks, since everything is made to order. It may be here in a week or two, then it will be a few weeks while I finish inletting the stock, installing the pillar beds, glass bedding it and doing the surface finish. I was going for something "unique" and I think my rifle will be unmistakable with the stock I have coming. :D

I will be spending a lot of time on here reading up on ammo loads, optics, etc. There are already some questions, but I will put those in the proper sub-forums. In the mean time, I picked up several boxes of Fed GMM 168gr for under $20/ea so that will be my ammo until I get loads developed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it took a bit longer, but here are two pics of the rifle as it sits now. I have my glasbed and pillar set standing by, just waiting for the stock to arrive (probably another week or two).

·
Registered
277 Posts
It looks TONS better. Just being outside with glass mounted makes a huge difference. Looks Good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts